Re: DWARF compaction

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 07:11:08PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> What GDB needs to do is cope with all the new wrinkles of the DWARF
> format that can be used in the most optimally compact encodings.
> These are mainly ref_addr, partial_unit, imported_unit, and not
> getting confused about semantics of inter-CU pointers in the DIEs.
>
> You can sort of work on this in parallel, though it's a bit hard to
> finish any new support when you don't have anything that produces that
> format to test it with.

FYI, GDB should work with this already.  I've tested it both with a
GCC mode that uses it lightly for duplicate elimination, plus with
proprietary compilers like RealView.  Of course, every new producer
causes unique problems.  Of your list, imported units are the only
ones likely to be any trouble.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery