Re: New branch for Fedora 11 merges

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:23:01 +0100, Sami Wagiaalla wrote:

>> Is anyone else's branch ready to be merged?
>
> I have merged my branch archer-swagiaal-using-directive into Keiths'
> branch archer-keiths-expr-cumulative, and resolved conflicts. If Keith
> is done with archer-keiths-expr-cumulative, it is ready to go.

IMO archer-swagiaal-using-directive and archer-keiths-expr-cumulative are not
based one on the other and the functionality of each of the branches can be
fully exploited without the code of the other branch.  Or am I wrong?

If you would like to help with the merging please create a new merged branch
(something like archer-swagiaal-cxx-merge) tracking both the branches
archer-swagiaal-using-directive and archer-keiths-expr-cumulative.

Merging together the base branches of unrelated functionalities creates more
work during later splitting for reviews, regression analysis on updates,
merges etc.

Also please if you get some parts of the branch (as happened multiple times
for archer-tromey-python) accepted for FSF GDB please git-revert (or just
unpatch/commit) that part and freshly merge it with origin/master (after its
update from gdb/master).  Otherwise it is a lot of later looking up which
variant is the more recent - if it got updated during the FSF GDB discussions
before it got accepted for FSF GDB or if it got updated in Archer since the
FSF GDB accept.

To advocate myself on the recently created merge branch:
archer-jankratochvil-python - Merge of "archer-tromey-python"
                              with "archer-jankratochvil-type-refcount"
is IMO useful to merge as both the [python] and [vla] branches require the
[type-refcount] functionality.  [vla] has been already based on latest
[type-refcount] while [python] was still using the base part of
[type-refcount] originally written by Tom and sufficient for [python] (but not
sufficient for [vla]).

Regards,
Jan