How to distinguish inheritance from containment?

Greetings,

Consider this source:

--- cut ---
struct foo {
  int x;
};

struct is_a_foo : public foo {
  int y;
};

struct has_a_foo {
  foo f;
  int z;
};

int main()
{
  is_a_foo a;
  has_a_foo b;

  return a.x + b.f.x;
}
--- cut ---

Suppose I want to define a pretty printer for anything that "is a foo",
but which should not apply to things which "contain a foo" as the first
field.

The only way I figured out how to do this currently feels very "hacky":
(assume gdb.Value('a') is bound to python variable a).

  field0 = a.type.fields()[0]
  if "foo" == field0.name and "foo" == str(field0.type):
    print "is a foo"

In addition, above test is not fool-proof: if I rename 'f' member of
has_a_foo to 'foo':

  struct has_a_foo {
    struct foo foo;
    int z;
  };

then above test answers 'is a foo' for 'b' as well.

Would adding an 'inherited' pre-defined attribute to gdb.Field be a bad idea?
It would make 'is a foo' determination straightforward:

  if "foo" == str(field0.type) and field0.inherited:
    print "is a foo"

I'll send a patch if y'all think this is reasonable.

Thanks,
--
Paul Pluzhnikov