Re: make check on mipsel-linux

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Koundinya.K wrote:

> I don't know if the newer binutils snapshots have been compiled before for
> mipsel-linux ??. Has there been any transition from older binutils to newer
> one at all ??. One person ( I can't get his name ) too had many problems. If
> not, since the elf32 and elf46 related mips sources in BFD have undergone
> major re-writes for IRIX and the n32 and n64 abi , you will have to ask
> someone about the latest state of development of binutils on linux-mips as
> to if they are in sync with the latest happenings.

 Well, I compiled a snapshot of binutils I made on Oct 8, 1999, and
everything worked mostly fine.  During the compilation phase, I prepared
some patches to fix various inconveniences and sent these to this list a
few days ago.  Of these, one was discussed and Geoff Keating provided an
alternate solution he's been working on for some time.  Other remained
unattended.  Of these, there is one real showstopper for glibc -- bfd
chokes on versioned symbols and these are heavily used by glibc 2.1.
Unfortunately, my knowledge of bfd is too shallow and although I know what
changes would be needed and where, after several hours of digging I still
have no idea how to access the appropriate structs from there.

 As there is no interest in these fixes, I ceased my work on binutils for
mipsel-linux and I'll try to compile glibc without versioning, which
should succeed unless there are undiscovered bugs related to the
non-versioned setup.

 On the other hand, current binutils have no problems with tasks such as
compiling the Linux kernel.