Re: Questions about GCC MIPS R5900's mdebug section

>2. If the GCC MIPS compiler can't generate the .stab and
>.stabstr sections, is there any documentation or source file or dump tool
>that descibles the .mdebug section in detail?

I hope there is better documentation, somewhere, but there is a
(rather old) description of mdebug  I wrote long ago on:

   http://reality.sgi.com/davea/objectinfo.html

Maybe it will help.  Maybe not.  Take a look.

   Shift click on the 'here' in
   "one part of the old 32bit ABI for MIPS is the
   mdebug debugging information
   A postscript file with the only currently available
   description of this data is here (119Kbytes)."

The document says nothing about the stuff defined by SGI for
C++ (which I presume that gcc sort of follows: I did not
check).  Basically the idea there was to follow  a normal
stStruct stEnd is followed immediately
by stTag and the c++ set of things
followed by stEnd. So the C++ classes are described
twice (yuck).

Corrections/ flames to:
David B. Anderson davea@sgi.com danderson@acm.org http://reality.sgi.com/davea/
Y2K conversion simplified: Januark, Februark, March, April, Mak, June,
Julk, August, September, October, November, December.