Re: Variable page size for ELF

> On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 10:38:05AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> > I got the request from our IA64 people.
>
> It seems quite likely that they want -N.
>
> If not, have one of them call me tomorrow so I can figure out what it
> is that they are trying to accomplish, because this request makes no
> sense to me at all.

They don't want -N. There are several usages I can think of

1. Some OSes do support variable page size. IRIX is one of them. But
you need some way to tell the system what page size you want. It is
possible that one day Linux will support variable page size on
platforms where the hardware support is available.
2. IA32 has 4K page size. But we may want to use a different page size
for IA32 binaries when run them under IA64.
3. The page size of Linux/IA64 may change due to various reasons. It
will be helpful to change page size via linker command line.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)