Re: obsolete files

  Date: 18 Jul 1999 21:50:12 -0400
  From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com>

>    As a matter of fact, I don't understand wasn't top-level configure.bat
>    added to the current sources, since this is the only change that
>    Robert Hoehne needed to do to build 2.8.1 with DJGPP that wasn't
>    checked into the development sources.  All the other changes are
>    already there in v2.9.1.  Why?
>
> I'm not sure quite what you are saying.  There is a top level
> configure.bat file in binutils 2.9.1.  Is it incorrect or something?

It is very obsolete and doesn't do what has to be done to configure
Binutils for DJGPP.  The DJGPP port of Binutils runs the top-level
configure script nowadays, but configure.bat in 2.9.1 doesn't do that.
Instead, it invokes configure.bat batch files (which are also obsolete
and should IMHO be removed from the distribution) in each one of the
subdirectories.  What top-level configure.bat _should_ do is to set
several environment variables that will help the configure script to
run smoothly, and then simply invoke "sh ./configure".

When I compared the sources of Binutils 2.8.1 ported to DJGPP by
Robert Hoehne with Binutils 2.9.1, I saw that all the changes Robert
needed to do in order to build Binutils were already in 2.9.1, with
the sole exception of the top-level configure.bat that seems to remain
unchanged.  Hence my question why weren't configure.bat changes
incorporated in v2.9.1.  Perhaps the necessary changes for
configure.bat simply didn't reach you somehow.