RE: binutils patches for basic generic i960-elf

>    My bfd config uses the generic linker - it doesn't provide an
>    i960-elf-specific backend relocate_section().
> In general, I recommend writing this.  Without it, you won't get many
> of the features of the ELF linker.

Que?  bfdint.texi recommends this on the grounds of efficiency and the
ability to handle dynamic linking, neither of which I'm particularly
bothered about for this target.  Is there anything else I'm missing out on
by not defining the processor-specific stuff?

> I wonder if it is really correct to discard link once sections when
> doing a relocateable link.

Say all the .linkonce.t.baz sections are combined into .text.  How is the
final link then going to know which bits to discard?  Or how would you
handle the multiple .linkonce.t.baz sections in the relocatable output?

> Incidentally, I recently fixed a long standing bug in gas to stop it
> from outputting relocs against local symbols in linkonce sections.
> This may work around your problem in a different way.

Doh!  Why didn't I ask earlier?