Re: Patch to readelf...

Hi Scott,

: I've been plumbing the depths of ARM Linux corefiles lately and have
: extended readelf's capabilities in the area of dumping core files.  I
: thought I would pass along the work and see if anyone thought it was
: interesting enough for inclusion in the tree.
:
: 1999-08-19  Scott Bambrough <scottb@netwinder.org>
:
: 	* include/elf/common.h: Added NT_TASKSTRUCT note type.
: 	* binutils/readelf.c: Added code to parse the NT_PRSTATUS,
: 	  NT_PRPSINFO, and NT_FPREGSET note segments found in elf core
: 	  files.  Added ARM specific code to process arm registers and
: 	  arm floating point registers.

I would like to accept this patch, but....

  * It is too ARM Linux specific.  For example the structure 'struct
    user_fp' that you reference in several of your functions is not
    defined in my i386 Linux environment.

  * Similarly I am worried that other platforms will not have the new
    header files that you include (eg <sys/procfs.h>).

  * The code does not conform to the GNU coding standard.  In
    particular you have lots of invocations of printf where there is
    no space between the function name and the opening parenthesis,
    plus in several places you have a brace at the end of a for
    statement instead of all alone on the following line.

  * In several places function return values are ignored when they
    need not be.

If you would like to tidy the patch up, I would be happy to review it
again.

Cheers
	Nick