reading.open?

Hi!

I've just cross-compiled native Linux set of binutils and gcc-2.95.
(Compiled on a Cygwin32 B20.1 NT machine) Everything crosscompiles nice,
so I do not think there is anything wrong with the tools.
When installing the binutils and compiler to the linux computer I'm
getting trouble with the simple "Hello World" test.

$ gcc hello.c -o hello
Assembler messages:
 for reading.open
: No such file or directory
$

Am I missing something? I've never seen any files called reading.open.
Am I missing such file, or is there enviroment variables not set?
Or is anything else wrong?

-Øystein