Re: reading.open?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8ystein?= Johansen <oeysteij@online.no> writes:
> Hi!
>
> I've just cross-compiled native Linux set of binutils and gcc-2.95.
> (Compiled on a Cygwin32 B20.1 NT machine) Everything crosscompiles nice,
> so I do not think there is anything wrong with the tools.
> When installing the binutils and compiler to the linux computer I'm
> getting trouble with the simple "Hello World" test.
>
> $ gcc hello.c -o hello
> Assembler messages:
>  for reading.open
> : No such file or directory
> $
>
> Am I missing something? I've never seen any files called reading.open.
> Am I missing such file, or is there enviroment variables not set?
> Or is anything else wrong?

Find the specs file, and make sure that it doesn't contain DOS style
line-endings, ie., it should have '\n', not '\r\n' (or whatever the
DOS sequence is). `gcc -print-file-name=specs` tells you where the
file is. You can use recode to change this, or the simplest way is
to load the file in vim, :set ff=unix, and write it back out (at least
I think it works).

When developing on Cygwin, I strongly recommend using binary-only mounts
if you care about not wasting time on these ridiculous issues. At the
same time, you need to make sure your code will work regardless of what
EOLs are on the system. Unfortunately, lots of Unix code was not written
to be portable in this regard.

I have a another-yet-to-be submitted patch to make gcc specs reader handle
this issue.

Regards,
Mumit