Re: PATCH BFD section load page support

   Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 01:52:08 -0500
   From: Timothy Wall <twall@tiac.net>

   >    The TI COFF output stores a "memory page" field in the section header; there
   >    is no documentation and the interpretation as the "load-time page" of the
   >    section comes from examining how it is actually used by TI's tools
   >
   > Is the memory page field used in object files?  In files produced by
   > ld -r?  Or only in fully linked files?

   The memory page field is used in all object files in TI COFF, though it's always (I
   think) zero until the final link.  My port mimics the TI behavior.

To me, this implies that we should not add a field to the asection
structure.  We should add a special BFD function which the linker's
TI-COFF emulation can call to set the memory page number for an output
section.

I'm reluctant to change the machine independent parts of the linker to
support this, but I have to admit that putting the information in the
linker script is reasonable, and we don't have any way to have machine
dependent parts in the linker script.

(Note that other options are possible--for example, a special option
to set the memory page for output sections.  This would make all the
support machine dependent.)

Ian