Re: [new test case jluu@mainsoft.com: Re: Possible linker problem]

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 02:02:41PM +0100, Jose Luu wrote:

> For us it is a normal option, because it is the behavior of the Windows
> linker, and all these Windows applications that we are porting to Linux
> needs it (for behavior rather than speed), especially the complex ones, like
> the gigantic professional CAD programs.
>

> >Maybe we should just detect this case and issue a warning.
> >Particularly since H.J. reports that the Solaris linker doesn't do a
> >better job.
> >

> A warning will be welcomed. We will still have a problem with the g++ RTTI
> information which uses this mechanism, I have to think about it further.

We have several options:

1. You can use the symbol versioning. You only export the symbol you
want to export. The versioning scripts take regular expressions (?)
for symbol names.
2. We can add a switch to ld to do data copy for -Bsymbolic. If it
causes any conflicts, you can use the symbol versioning to solve
them.
3. Ian mentioned that ld could do the hardwork in the main executable
to detect -Bsymbolic.

#3 may be the best. But it will take time. #2 should be easier to do.

H.J.

H.J.