Re: Patch for ppc _SDA_BASE_ value

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>    Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:55:57 +0300
>    From: Momchil Velikov <velco@fadata.bg>
>
>    Well, it's been almost a week with no feedback about this one ...
>       http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/binutils/2000-03/msg00377.html
>
> I simply don't know.
>
> You are changing the way that ELF linker sections work, and I never
> understood those in the first place.  I don't have time to learn.
I don't think so. The linker sections work just as before.

> I'm troubled by the call to generic_link_add_one_symbol.  It feels
> wrong to call that after sections have been sized, allocated, and
> relaxed, although it will probably work.
But adding a symbol does not affect any section's size, except the
symbol table section, but anyway its size a computed afterwards.

> Your patch doesn't appear to consider discarded sections, which will
> tend to have an output_section of bfd_abs_section.
Yep, I'll fix this (by checking for bfd_abs_section, I guess this
will catch both SEC_EXCLUDE sections and section mapped to
``/DISCARD/''.)

> I wonder if we could attach the symbol to an invented input section as
> we did before, and then somehow force that input section to be first.
Don't have the slightest idea how to do that. And, frankly speaking,
don't
see the need right now.

Regards,
-velco