gas will miscompile with SPARCompiler 3.0.1 on Solaris7

When I try to bootstrap binutils+gcc on Solaris7/sparc, using Sun cc
3.0.1 as the bootstrap compiler, I end up with an assembler that
rejects the construct:

        save    %sp,-112,%sp

claiming relocation overflow.

I can't duplicate the problem using gcc as the bootstrap compiler, and
I'm having trouble debugging it.  gdb seems unable to understand the
debugging information generated by this cc, and I'm not very
proficient with dbx :-(

Any leads, suggestions, fixes?

--
Alexandre Oliva    Enjoy Guaranį, see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/