Re: gas will miscompile with SPARCompiler 3.0.1 on Solaris7

On Apr  7, 2000, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com> wrote:

> Besides, adding casts this way is just a wart; any future maintainer
> would be right to simply remove them, since they are clearly
> unnecessary.

Nope.  Just think of a compiler with 64-bit integers.  0xffffffff
would be *signed* int, not unsigned as it currently is.  It may not
make any difference in this particular case, but in some tests in
other files, it does.  So adding the case to unsigned is actually a
good thing.

> Using N_ONES would be OK with me too, although it is rather awkward.

N_ONES would return a signed integer.

> We should only fix whatever is needed to make this target work on
> Solaris.

That's exactly what the patch I posted accomplishes.

--
Alexandre Oliva    Enjoy Guaranį, see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com