Re: Patch for bfd/Makefile* botch

   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 00 15:53:13 CDT
   From: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (Michael Sokolov)

   There is a spurious dependency in bfd/Makefile* of trad-core.lo on
   hosts/i386linux.h. trad-core.c is not specific to i386linux and includes
   different header files from hosts in different configurations, so I don't see
   any reason for hosts/i386linux.h to appear in the Makefile* except for the
   obvious guess that whoever last regenerated the dependencies happened to be
   running i386linux. The patch below fixes it.

   Please check this patch in, without it when building BFD on 4.3BSD in a
   separate directory make complains about not finding hosts/i386linux.h and
   stops.

Thanks for the patch.

I don't know why make would fail.  Why isn't the file there?  It's
true that the dependency is bogus and a wart, but I don't understand
why it would cause an actual problem beyond an occasional unnecessary
recompilation.

In any case, what we need here is not to simply remove the dependency,
but to fix the automatic dependency generation so that the next time
it is run the dependency will not simply be added back in again.  As
written, your patch will simply be reverted the next time the
automatic dependencies are generated.

Ian