Re: ld test failure on ARM GNU/Linux

On 11 Apr 2000, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>    Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:45:39 -0700
>    From: Catherine Moore <clm@cygnus.com>
>
>    : > Then the testsuite does not match the test case, and selective.exp
>    : > should be fixed.  And the test will presumably start failing when
>    : > using gcc 2.95.2 on i386 GNU/Linux.
>    :
>
>      This patch looks reasonable to me.  This test (selective 4) seems to have been
>      broken from the beginning.  Unfortunately, it passed on other platforms so
>      it's possible that we have a --gc-sections bug for some other target.

It wasn't so much other platforms, but other versions of gcc.

> I think I'd like to see the test fixed to test for correct behaviour,
> even though that means that it will fail on some targets.  The point
> of a testsuite is to catch bugs, not to hide them.

I agree with the philosophy about testsuites, but in this case the
testsuite in really testing gcc as well as ld.  Perhaps a better test
would be to start from a .s file.

Until this is done, or some other fix is found, may I apply my fix to the
main branch?

--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.