Re: ELF_DYNAMIC_INTERPRETER changes for FreeBSD

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 11:31:08PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>    Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:27:14 -0700
>    From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
>
>    FreeBSD uses a different name for it's ELF_DYNAMIC_INTERPRETER than the
>    values currently used by Binutils.
>

>    2000-04-11  David O'Brien  <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
>
> 	   * elf32-i386.c (ELF_DYNAMIC_INTERPRETER): Handle FreeBSD.
> 	   * elf64-alpha.c (ELF_DYNAMIC_INTERPRETER): Likewise.
>
> Besides the fact that testing using #ifdef is wrong,

> I think this is the wrong approach anyhow.  Just use an appropriate
> --dynamic-linker option when you link.  Even if you have a compiler
> other than gcc, there must be some way to control the linker options.

"there must be"... please lets talk real-world not ivory tower.  Unless
we know that every compiler of every language has an option, the linker
should specify the right ELF_DYNAMIC_INTERPRETER.  Not to mention this
would be a new requirement for FreeBSD users.

I'm trying very hard to make it so FreeBSD can use a stock Binutils.
Please work with me on this.  I have the requirement that the linker use
the right ELF_DYNAMIC_INTERPRETER w/o manual specification by users.  So
how to engineer a solution?

This really sounds like the wrong answer to me.  In other words you want
the GNU ld to be *broken* on FreeBSD such that people have to use a very
long and cumberson option to make it work correctly??  I don't think so.
Would you be taking this same stance if Solaris used some other name for
the dynamic linker?

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)