Re: Demangler update?

   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:00:35 -0700
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>

   On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 09:07:38AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

   > The mangling scheme does change over time, and it can change with each
   > release of the compiler.  In practice new manglings seem to get added
   > pretty often.
   >
   > The binutils and gcc are not released in synch.  If you have a new
   > compiler, an older binutils may well be unable to demangle the names
   > generated by the new compiler.
   >
   > The fix is to have the compiler provide a demangling program (it
   > already does, in fact) and to have the binutils simply use it.

   As I have pointed out before, it may not work every well with
   more than one version/release of C++ compilers, depending
   on how c++filt is installed. When you type "c++filt", you may
   not get the "c++filt" you want. c++filt should be installed just
   like cc1plus and invoked by g++/c++ only. However, it still
   doesn't solve the problem for gdb and binutils.

We have to face that problem somehow.  Dynamic loading doesn't solve
it either.

To put it another way, if we can solve the problem with dynamic

In any case, we only need to fully solve the 90% case, in which there
is only one compiler around, while retaining enough flexibility to
handle unusual cases such as the one you describe.

Ian