Re: Demangler update?

   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:03:22 -0700
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>

   >    > In any case, we only need to fully solve the 90% case, in which there
   >    > is only one compiler around, while retaining enough flexibility to
   >    > handle unusual cases such as the one you describe.
   >
   >    I don't think my case is that unusual. As of today, on my Linux
   >    box, there are C++ binaries linked with 4 different versions
   >    of libstdc++, compiled with 4 different versions of g++.
   >
   > I hope you aren't trying to argue that you are a typical user.  I
   > believe that most developers use one compiler which they rarely
   > change.

   3 out of 4 different versions of shared libstdc++ are provided
   by Red Hat 6.2. They are parts of the libstdc++ 2.9.0-30 rpm. You
   can say most if not all Red Hat users have similar installations
   like me.

Despite this, I believe my statement is correct as it stands.

But this is completely irrelevant, and I'm not going to comment
further on it.  Obviously if somebody can solve the whole problem,
then we should implement that.  Arguing about whether we need to solve
the whole problem is pointless.  Since you think we do, go ahead and
solve it.

It remains the case that if we can solve the whole problem with shared
libraries, then we can solve it with an external program.  The
suggested solutions are no different in this regard.

Ian