Re: string concatenation in gas

   From: Geoff Berry <geoffb@bops.com>
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:51:38 -0400

   Is this a desirable (and implementable) feature, or was this intentionally
   left out?  Gas is the only assembler I've ever used so I don't really have a
   feel for what other assemblers are capable of in this regard.  I've had a
   couple of assembly programmers ask me about this feature so I'm guessing
   that it is somewhat important.

I would not consider this feature to be worth much implementation
effort.  I don't personally know of any assembler which implements it,
but there are a lot of assemblers out there which I don't know about.

Most people who need this sort of capability run their assembly files
through a preprocessor first.  The C preprocessor and the m4
preprocessor are common choices.  I don't think the C preprocessor is
powerful enough for your example, but m4 certainly is.

Ian