Re: Suspected bug in the current m68k gas relaxer

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the idea was that the 16 bit PC relative reference might need
> to be converted to a 32 bit bit PC relative reference, and the latter
> is not supported on the 68000.

Yeah, that's the first thing that comes to mind. I guess that what whoever
wrote that thought, except that (s)he forgot that we are relaxing between 16-
bit PC-relative and *absolute*, not between 16-bit and 32-bit PC-relative.

> So I agree that this code seems wrong.
>
> [...]
>
> It looks OK to me to remove the CPU check in both places.

The patch is below. Please check it in. While we are at it, what happened to my
previous patch that fixes the relaxer's handling of flag_short_refs (-l)?

> You might want to think about writing a test case which we can add to
> the gas testsuite.

Testing what?

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)