Re: (Fwd) Re: Absolute paths in BFD

> From: "Mark E." <snowball3@bigfoot.com>
> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 00:02:52 -0400
>
> >    If you want to reconsider that decision, I could rework the patches
> >    (although I don't understand why the GCC's way of parameterizing these
> >    macros is better than that of the other projects).
> >
> > gcc's way is better because gcc and the binutils share the directories
> > include and libiberty.  You've added a file to include, for example;
> > that file should really be added to the gcc repository as well.
> >

> BTW Eli, I'm already working on the patch for the include directory. I had
> noticed that libiberty's choose-temp.c would benefit from the macros, so I
> went ahead and started work on it.

My patches included changes for choose-temp.c as well, didn't they?
So why did you need to work on it?

Anyway, if you are using the macros from the GCC distribution for
choose-temp.c, you will probably need to rework all the rest of the
patches as well.  It doesn't make sense to have two different sets of
macros with overlapping functionality in the same package.

Please also see the objections to the GCC set I mentioned in another
message in this thread.  In contrast, as you well know, the macros I
used are used in many DJGPP ports of GNU packages, and they work very
well.  These partricular patches to Binutils were tested in the DJGPP
port for several months, and are now used by the majority of DJGPP
users.

In any case, if I read Ian's response correctly, he indicates that the
macros are not the reason for my patches being in the queue for so
long, and that switching to GCC's macros will not necessarily cause
the patches to be accepted faster.  So perhaps, before you commit your
resources to working on that, it's a good idea to find out how else
should the patches be changed to make them simpler and easier to
accept.