Re: patch for gas: PowerPC vector unit support

> From: jtc@redback.com (J.T. Conklin)
> Date: 02 May 2000 11:18:34 -0700

OK, since I believe we have an assignment from you (how do I find that
out?) and we don't have one from Motorola, I'll operate assuming your
patches will go in.

> Still left to do are the data stream instructions: dss,
> dssall, dst, dstt, and dstst.  The Altivec user's/programmer's manual
> does not indicate how the stream operand is encoded, and I have not
> been able to find code samples that use these instructions.

The stream operand is just a constant between 0 and 3.

    dss 2

is turned into, if my hex conversion is right, 7840066C; the effect is
that the prefetches created by, say, a previous 'dst r3,r4,2' are
stopped.

> +       else if (strcmp (arg, "7400") == 0)
> +         ppc_cpu = PPC_OPCODE_PPC | PPC_OPCODE_ALTIVEC;

Could you add an '-maltivec' option, for the benefit of people who
aren't targetting a particular processor?

Otherwise, your patches look OK to me.  If someone can confirm that we
have an assignment from you, I'll check them in.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>