Re: gdb & ISO C (Was `textdomain warning removal')

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 10:32:24AM +0200, Philippe De Muyter wrote:
> Michael Meissner wrote :
> > >
> > > These changes are a bit unfortunate in light of the need to retain
> > > compatibility with ancient compilers.  GDB now requires an ISO C compiler
> > > to build it (e.g. GCC).  Can't the binutils follow suit?
> >
> > No.  With the debugger, you don't have to build it with the native compiler,
> > since you could always build GCC first.
>
> That supposes that gcc builds out of the box on your platform.  In my
> experience, that is seldom the case and I often need a good debugger to find
> why gcc crashes.  And gcc comes with a .gdbinit file that thus supposes gdb
> is available before gcc :)

Or if you have multiple systems, gcc builds as a cross compiler on the other
system targetting your old box.  Of course it is much harder to build a cross
compiler making sure you have all of the necessary pieces.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company.
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304