Re: change for configuring on FreeBSD

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 07:33:37PM +1000, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> > > config.guess is now at rev. 1.444.  Can it be brought into the HEAD and
> > > binutils-2_10-branch branch?
> >
> > With respect to the binutils-2_10-branch branch, my understanding is
> > that binutils no plans to update config.guess before the next release.
> > GDB certainly has no such plan.
>
> Fine.  Then apply a patch to the binutils-2_10-branch to
> s/freebsdelf/freebsd/g.  I was told here at the begining of April to go
> talk to the config.guess maintainer.  I have now gotten that changed.
> Now I'm being told there is no way to effect the 2.10 release.  This
> change is part of getting the binutils-2_10-branch to support
> alpha-*-freebsd, and for the support to be the same as in the in the
> trunk.  Or am I just wasteing my time in trying to get the 2.10 release
> to natively, fully support FreeBSD?

David,

I don't know, but I suspect a better strategy may be to lobby for more
frequent releases of binutils and get any problems fixed in the trunk
ready for that release.

For GDB, part of the deal for how 5.0 is being handled, was for me to
put my neck on the line and promise a follow up 5.0.1/5.1 within six
months.  (Even then people are understandably skeptical).

Given the IA-64 stuff, which isn't in gdb-5.0 / binutils-2.10, there is
a strong incentive to do the follow-on release.

	Andrew