Re: change for configuring on FreeBSD

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 11:54:36AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 11:38:02AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> > I simply don't have the time to work on 2.10. Unless 2.10 has all
> > the patches in the main trunk I like, I don't think I can do anything
> > about it.
>
> IMHO, this shows a weakness in the Binutils release cycle stratagy.
>
> Branching and then polishing for a .0 release has never worked for
> FreeBSD.  Instead near a .0 release, we enter a code slush in which only
> things that fix bugs and thing that don't stability can be committed.
> Then a code freeze is entered.  The gets all the developers to put their
> energy into the release.  I wonder how many of the Binutils developers
> are not putting any time into the 2.10 release due to this.

I agree that the current situation is far from ideal. But it doesn't
hurt Linux that much since I have been making frequent Linux versions
for a while. Binutils has to support so many platforms. I am not sure
if you can apply FreeBSD to it. A week of code freeze may be ok. More
than 1 months may hurt the development. If we can live with bugs, some
of which may be serious, in 5.0, we can make the 5.0 release today.
Then we should do whatever we can to fix them with the follow up
releases. That requires we have the sources to do it. Linux should
not be a problem and I guess FreeBSD is ok. But I have no ideas about
others.

Coming from Linux, I am very comfortable with 2.10.xx :-).

H.J.