Re: A patch for configure

On May 18, 2000, "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> wrote:

> It won't work if you don't use newlib and have those .o, so, .a and .h
> files installed under ${prefix}/${target_alias}. How about I also
> check if newlib doesn't exist?

I prefer testing for ${prefix}/${target_alias}.  I don't think the
absence of newlib can be used as a heuristics for the presence of that
directory, or the need for the gcc installation directory.  I, for
one, have certainly built toolchains up to the compiler, refraining
from building any target libraries, because I just wanted to verify
certain issues in the compiler.  I'd be extremely annoyed if I was
forced to define an installation prefix and create a particular
directory within it in order to be able to complete configure.  At the
very least, there should be an option to tell configure to shut up
about this because it doesn't know better than I.

--
Alexandre Oliva    Enjoy Guaranį, see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com