Re: gas obj-multi experiences? (and small gas/Makefile.am patch)

> Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:08:13 -0700
> From: Nick Clifton <nickc@cygnus.com>

> : Over to the real issue:
> : I'd like to make it simple to generate both a.out and ELF from
> : the same compiler-tools installation, using command-line options.

> I would recommend against it.  I do not have any experience with
> multitargeted toolchains, but I do have experience with multiple
> toolchains for the same architecture but different file formats.  (eg
> the ARM with COFF, PE and ELF file formats).  I know that this can be
> done, which is why I would recommend it.

Well, users expect (I expect them to expect) to want to change
object format (I'm not talking about different CPU architectures
of course) with a command-line switch.

The only link in the toolchain that has historically been
opposed to this is gas.  The infrastructure to support this
seems to be in place now.

I've looked at it further, hacking the CRIS port to check
feasibility, and it all should work fine.  A few fields need to
be added to struct format_ops, but nothing big.  So I've
stubbornly made up my mind try this way.

> Is there a special reason why you want one toolchain to be able to
> generate multiple output file formats ?

We have a.out, want to make a transition to ELF.  GCC and
binutils can AFAIK handle this difference through command-line
switches.  Now gas can too, and it seems natural to use this.

Having one toolchain installed instead of two would be easier on
the user (and me, eventually).

brgds, H-P