Re: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2000-05/msg01104.html

	lt-ld-new: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory

I've been building ia64 cross compilers for over a year, and have never seen
this problem.  Granted, I've mostly been using Cygnus sources not FSF sources,
so there might be some patch that we forgot to contribute.  However, I
suspect the real problem is that you are somehow configuring the toolchain
wrong.  Unfortunately, you haven't given any explanation of what you are
doing.  All you've said is that whatever you are doing doesn't work, and the
only conclusion I can draw from that is that you must be doing something wrong.

I even think I know what you are doing wrong.  I suspect that you aren't
using the --with-headers and --with-libs configure options.

I suggest you start at the beginning, with a gcc-XXX.tar.gz file, and give a
complete explaination of what you do to reach the point where crt1.o is not
found.  This must be complete enough so that someone else can reproduce what
you are doing and get the same error.

Once we have that, we can decide how to fix the problem.  Perhaps we will
want to convince you to use the --with-headers/--with-libs options.  Or perhaps
we will want to make changes that allow your configure/build method to work.

Another thing here, it would be useful if you sent separate patches for
separate problems.  The -B ordering problem is obvious to me, and I am
willing to approve that patch.  But the patch you submitted fixes two
separate problems, and I do not accept the solution for the second problem,
and hence I can not approve the patch as submitted.

Jim