Re: QNX Neutrino (new targets, GPL) (fwd)

Bonjour

  This was forwarded to me.  I'm not on this list.

> >From binutils-return-4678-phdm=macqel.be@sourceware.cygnus.com  Thu Jul  6 09:00:45 2000
> Sender: binutils-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
> Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 06:58:30 +0200 (MET_DST)
> From: Anders Norlander <anorland@acc.umu.se>
> To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com>
> cc: binutils@sourceware.cygnus.com
> Subject: Re: QNX Neutrino (new targets, GPL)
>
> On 5 Jul 2000, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> >    Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:14:34 +0200 (MET_DST)
> >    From: Anders Norlander <anorland@acc.umu.se>
> >
> >    I contacted QNX about their tools since it would be dumb to duplicate the
> >    effort of porting the tools (and they probably have some knowledge that I
> >    don't). But QNX refuses to publish the source code for the modified tools.

Who did you contact ? The src is made available on a per request basis.
Things are changing and what you got yesterday maybe obsolete tomorrow
so there is no point to make this widely available now.

> >    They claim it will eventually be available by CVS and that in the meantime
> >    the sources have been put in the hands of the FSF.

Yes that is the intention, that will permit outsiders to track developement
more easily.

>      I don't know if that is
> >    true, but I do know that they are intentionally violating the GPL. They

I beg your pardon ?

> >    are aware of the implications of the GPL and they have been distributing
> >    binutils and GCC binaries for a long time, without any source code.

"Distributing GCC for a long time"  QNX as been using Watcomm C, and the
shift was done to GNU gcc for QNX/Neutrino and it is not even release yet.
Maybe you are talking about JC Michot port of gcc for QNX and Neutrino
1.0 beta/alpha, then you take this up with him.

> > When I look at the QNX web site, I see this:
> >
> >     QNX Software Systems is committed to providing the source code for
> >     all GNU utilities (and other software subject to the GPL) which it
> >     distributes. Such utilities include awk, rcs, gmake, gzip, and
> >     sed. If you can't find the GNU source code you are looking for
> >     under the free software area, please contact freesoft@qnx.com and
> >     we will make a copy available.
> >
> > This is on
> >     http://www.qnx.com/cgi-bin/dir_find.cgi?/usr/free/
>
> Well, you will find some software here, but not gcc or binutils. This is
> seems to be mostly software ported by people outside of QNX.
>
> > If you have downloaded a binary compiled from GNU code from QNX, and
> > they will not provide the source code, then they are violating the
> > GPL.  You implied that you did that, but you didn't explicitly state
> > it.  Can you confirm that you have done that?  Which binary was it,
> > and how did you download it?
>
> The binary is what is distributed with the QNX 4 and QNX/Neutrino 2.0
> platform. Installing QNX 4 with development tools for QNX/Neutrino will
> install gcc for QNX/Neutrino MIPS, x86 and PowerPC targets (depending on
> what you choose). The versions are gcc 2.8.1 and binutils 2.9.1. I hear
> the upcoming release of QNX/Neutrino is self-hosting but I don't know the
> version of any tools used, but it is GNU tools from what I know.

You did not anwser the questions, Neutrino is not a release product,
Contact again the point where you get this "distribution" and ask
them for the src of the tools you need, because the src is not on an ftp
site does not mean it's not available.  Maybe it's just a misunderstanding,
sometime salesmen do not get it straigth.

--
au revoir, alain
----