Re: A comment-finding hack for hppa I found useful

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Nick Clifton wrote:

> :    I found the following hack useful when debugging glibc sources
> : for hppa.  The comment in the first hunk below indicates why it's
> : useful, but I'm ambivalent as to whether this belongs in the
> : official sources.
>
> So basically the problem is that (for the hppa) the comment chracater,
> (';') is the same as the line seperator character for lots of other
> assemblers, and that tihs leads to confusion, especially when writing
> C asm statements ?

Yup.  Taking an example from current glibc sources: include/libc-symbols.h

#   define __make_section_unallocated(section_string)   \
  asm(".section " section_string "; .previous");

Here, the ".previous" is treated as a comment by hppa gas.  I sent a patch
to Ulrich Drepper for this a long time ago, but it hasn't gone in (and in
case Ulrich is reading this, there's no pressing need for it to go in yet
as hppa-linux glibc needs quite a bit of work)

> I guess I have no objections to adding the feature, although I think
> that it will only very occaisionally be useful.  perhaps it could be
> part of the output with the -D switch ?

Yes, that would be reasonable.  I just picked `-c' as an unused letter.

--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.