Re: (windres) linking VisualC++ ``coff'' objects under Linux?

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 09:31:40AM -0700, emmanuel_michon@sdesigns.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as far as I understand, VisualC++ or Intel compiler for Windows
> create objects file (.obj) in a kind of COFF format.
> [file says 80386 COFF executable not stripped - version 25970]
>
> There is a tool in binutils called windres that is supposed
> to convert to useful linux library formats.
>
> It returns format not recognized on these files.
>
> Is there a way I can do this? Seems the Windows98 compilers are
> pretty poor in available output formats.
>
> My .obj are made of extremely flat and simple binary code that should not
> cause troubles afterwards.

You can configure binutils from CVS or use my Linux binutils to link
MS COFF .obj files under Linux as if they are the Linux native .o files.
You should get a working Linux executable if the ABI is the same. I have
verified that they work with asm code. The C code may work if the calling
convention is the compatible. I don't think C++ code will work unless
you put in some glues.

H.J.