Re: (BFD): Non-byte addressing possible?

   Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:21:16 +0200
   From: Di Carlo Federico <dicarlo@apegate.roma1.infn.it>

   We are trying to port all binutils to our parallel-architecture machine.

   This architecture demands non per-byte addressing.
   In fact we have to provide address via a 32 bit bus referring 16 byte (a
   word, in this machine) with an address.

   For example if address 0x8000 is address 0x4000 for memory controller
   then address 0x8001 is address 0x4010 . So subseguent addresses refers
   to 128 different bits in memory.

   As far as we discovered it's not possible to force binutils (just BFD
   ELF support, we guess, due to relocs) to support this feature, so we
   think we'll have to do very strange magic translation at reloc/link
   time.

   Are there any features we didn't see or any back-end already using such
   an addressing we could study?

See the tic54x and the octets_per_byte code.  Perhaps it will help.

Ian