Re: glibc 2.1 and gabi

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 09:01:25AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> > previously -rpath did only set DT_RPATH, it now also sets DT_RUNPATH.
> > As I understand it DT_RUNPATH is supposed to replace DT_RPATH in the
> > new ELF specs, but with slightly different semantics (at least on some
> > platfroms).  This makes me wonder whether setting both is really such
>
> I don't think it should do any harm. You only enable it with
> --enanle-new-dtags. The ld.so should check DT_RUNPATH first and
> then DT_RPATH. It will skip DT_RPATH if DT_RUNPATH is found. If it
> doesn't know DT_RUNPATH at all, it should just ignore it.

FYI, from the new gABI:

-----
A fourth search facility, the dynamic array tag DT_RPATH, has been
moved to level 2 in the ABI. It provides a colon-separated list of
directories to search. Directories specified by DT_RPATH are searched
before directories specified by LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

If both DT_RPATH and DT_RUNPATH entries appear in a single object's
dynamic array, the dynamic linker processes only the DT_RUNPATH entry.
----

H.J.