Status of the ELF standard

Hi there,

I'm trying to get a clearer understanding of the current status of the ELF
standard. It is my understanding that the GNU Project and the Cygnus toolchain
have chosen ELF as the primary object and executable file format and the main
standard in this area. But what is this standard? Originally ELF was defined in
the System V ABI documentation from AT&T. Is this still the only ELF spec in
existence, or is there now some committee tending the ELF standard and
registering new processors, extensions, revisions, etc? I have sometimes seen
people on this list say something in passing about extensions being registered
and the possibility of unused bits being assigned for something, etc. Does this
mean that there someone maintaining the ELF standard beyond the original spec
in System V manuals? And what spec/version/etc. is the standard for the GNU
Project and the Cygnus toolchain, if there is more than one? TIA for any clues.

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)