Re: objdump --debugging, target=arm-elf

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 03:08:20PM -0700, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
>
> : I'm having a problem with debugging information in my arm-elf target.
> : Firstly, how do the debugging formats differ, and which should I
> : use?
>
> There are two main debug formats supported by the GNU tools: STABS and
> DWARF.  Which you use depends upon the toolchain you are using (some
> toolchains only support one of these formats), which language you are
> using (STABS is an older format, and has less support for C++ than
> DWARF), and how big you are prepared to let your binaries become.
> (DWARF debug information tends to occupy more space than STABS).

To be pedantic, by dwarf, you should read dwarf-2.  There is a dwarf-1 debug
format as well, which has less C++ support than stabs.  The 2 dwarf formats are
philosophically similar, but are different at the bit level.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304