Re: Archive library breakage on standard UNIX systems with ranlib

Alexandre Oliva <oliva@lsd.ic.unicamp.br> wrote:

> Please try the patch in the attached message.

I'm now building the tree with the current -rmulti-language-branch libtool with
this patch, and it already got past building libbfd.a and libopcodes.a and
linking some executables with them, so it looks good. Thanks!

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)

P.S. Sorry for blowing my valve when I was first hit by the bug. It was just
extremely frustrating when I got up Friday morning (after starting a build
Thursday night) only to see it completely broken without an easy fix anywhere
in sight. Then while diagnosing it, in order to try out CVS libtool, which
comes without the generated files, I had to go through building and installing
perl and automake. After that several libtool builds followed by tree builds.
Ouch. I know that you are probably very spoiled by PCs and all that, but let me
just tell you that each tree build, even with a very stripped-down tree, is
several hours. Each configure run and such is anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes.
All in all this bug threw me back 48 hours.