Re: An article about the Cygnus tree

Joe Buck <jbuck@racerx.synopsys.com> wrote:

> Still wrong.  The FSF never "closed their gcc project".  This *is* the gcc
> project.  Same people for the most part, same code base.

Not quite. Yes, politically it's the same project, has many of the same people,
and the core code is a version of the same thing. But this is not what my
article is about. My article is about the Cygnus tree, the top-level
architecture, and the fact that all these projects are now dependent on the
tree architecture and belong in the single unified repo. The old gcc which had
all the actual gcc code at the top directory level and no libiberty *is* dead.
The other, once forked, GCC that has the Cygnus configure script at the top
directory level is the only one remaining. That was my whole point.

> > BTW, what did EGCS stand for?
>
> eggs.

I've checked in this:

------- cygnus-tree-intro -------
*** /tmp/d01094	Tue Sep  5 11:28:02 2000
--- cygnus-tree-intro	Tue Sep  5 11:10:11 2000
***************
*** 42,52 ****
  its development, so Cygnus didn't take over its development by itself. First
  they synchronised their work on it (in their internal Cygnus tree) with the FSF
  maintainers. Then in August 1997 they created an open development project for
! it which they named EGCS (Extended GNU Compiler System). It was a public
! project and for a period of time, for better or worse, was in competition with
! FSF's gcc project. In spring 1999 FSF closed their gcc project and EGCS was
! renamed into GCC. At the same time GCC was changed to mean GNU Compiler
! Collection instead of GNU C Compiler.

  All these programs have been integrated into the Cygnus tree so completely that
  they no longer exist separately from it. Moreover, some of these programs are
--- 42,52 ----
  its development, so Cygnus didn't take over its development by itself. First
  they synchronised their work on it (in their internal Cygnus tree) with the FSF
  maintainers. Then in August 1997 they created an open development project for
! it which they named EGCS (eggs, just like the ones Americans eat for breakfast
! :-). It was a public project and for a period of time, for better or worse, was
! in competition with FSF's gcc project. In April 1999 FSF closed their gcc

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)