Re: m68k MacOS target support?

Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> writes:

> All three of these versions used to be at Cygnus' ftp site, presumably
> they're still there, and you can get the talking compiler on MacHack's
> CD (www.machack.com).  Alas, none of them is of much use for porting
> current GCC to m68k MacOS, since they assume MPW, and now-unsupported
> versions at that.  Most of the changes are highly MPW-specific anyway,
> with the exception of Pascal string (\p) and four-char-constants ('oapp')
> support in the frontend.

Hey, MPW runs great on my Quadras!

Seriously, an m68k port that targeted CFM68k binaries only would
probably be reasonable to support *iff* there were also a maintained
port to MacOS/powerpc.

Seeing as MacOS itself is going to start fading into the sunset
shortly, I guess this isn't likely.

> So given that m68k Macs are slowly fading into the sunset, and that
> the PalmOS GCC port has little in common with the old Mac ports, I'd say
> it's not worth spending much time worrying about m68k Mac support in
> current GCC.

Probably not.  I do find it sad that we require a highly non-free
compiler to build the bootloaders and other MacOS support utilities
for installing and running free operating systems (NetBSD, GNU/Linux,
mkLinux) on older Macintoshes (both m68k and powerpc based).  And the
gratis MPW compilers really suck compared to GCC (no inline assembly,
etc, so on).

Oh well, so it goes.

--
dhd@linuxcare.com, http://www.linuxcare.com/