Re: m68k MacOS target support?

> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 00 19:54:52 CDT
> From: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (Michael Sokolov)

> > All three of these versions used to be at Cygnus' ftp site, presumably
> > they're still there [...]
>
> OK, I've found your two m68k ports in ftp.cygnus.com:/pub/mac/m68k, but they
> are Mac self-extracting archives as far as I could tell. Could you please
> provide the sources in .tar.gz format? (After all, the GPL does require the
> source to be available in a machine-readable form. For a UNIX program I'd say
> this implies a UNIX-readable format. gcc is originally a UNIX program, and
> while a fork can be made for a different system, I think the original UNIX-
> based developers have a natural right to see the source in a UNIX-readable form
> for possible integration into the mainline.)

The GPL only requires source be available when you ship binaries, and
contains this clause:

 However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
 include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or
 binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on)
 of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that
 component itself accompanies the executable.

One effect of this clause is that Mac self-extracting archives of
source are perfectly acceptable if distributed with Mac binaries.

Still, I'll look into fixing it next time my mac is sufficiently close
network-wise to the FTP archive.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>