Re: 2.10.91: A problem with LINK_ONCE_DISCARD sections on mipsel-linux

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Alan Modra wrote:

> >  Hmm, maybe we could mark such symbols global?...
>
> Well, that would lead to multiply defined symbol errors for normal
> (non-linkonce) section symbols.  Actually, after following this path of

 I meant "section symbols for LINK_ONCE_DISCARD sections only".  I suppose
I wasn't clear enough.  Due to the way these sections are handled, they
are not quite local, indeed.  Marking these symbols as global would allow
them to be looked up in the global symbol hash.

> reasoning earlier, I came close to retracting my comment about incorrect
> output.  Since section symbols must stay local, in some ways it's not
> unreasonable for the reference to the removed section symbol to resolve to
> zero.  However, it's confusing, and perhaps against the spirit of
> link-once sections.  See what happens when we extend your example a

 There are no symbols within LINK_ONCE_DISCARD sections, normally.  They
carry a single template each when built by the c++ compiler.  Only the
section symbol gets referenced from them.

  Maciej