Re: [patch] BFD ieee.c fix

Hi Guys,

: Alan Modra <alan@linuxcare.com.au> writes:
: > I recommend this patch _not_ be applied, nor any future patch mentioning
: > the word trivial associated with bfd_release!
:
: Heh.  Based on your comment, and the semantics of bfd_release (of
: which I wasn't aware) i'm not convinced that there's really an error
: in that function at all.

Well hold on there, there may still be a memory leak.  In the function
we are looking at, the first instance of "goto got_wrong_format_error"
does not call bfd_release(), but the second one does.  (And the memory
being released was allocated at the start of the function, before the
first goto).  This implies that either the call to bfd_release by the
second goto is wrong, or that it is OK and the first goto also ought
to call bfd_release.

The only function call between the bfd_alloc that allocates the memory
that is the argument to the bfd_release and the first goto is a call
to bfd_read.  bfd_read does not allocate any memory, nor do any of the
functions that it calls, (I checked).  read_id does allocate memory,
but that is called after the first goto, not before it, so there is no
problem there.

Thus I actually think that that patch is OK.  I am not going to check
it in yet, in case there are any more comments, but if no has any more
objections then it will go in.

Cheers
	Nick