i386-pe partial links

I did some investigation into the problem with PE partial links that I
reported the other day.  The bug is caused by the code to handle long section
names.

What seems to happen is that _bfd_coff_final_link writes out the symbol table
correctly, but then later coff_write_object_contents is called, which thinks
that the string table still needs to be written out and calls
coff_write_symbols to deal with it.  But abfd->outsymbols doesn't mention any
symbols, so the section name strings are dumped out over the top of the start
of the symbol table.

Any suggestions on what to do about this?

Thanks

p.