Re: A patch for default version and archive

"H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com> writes:

> Let's just address binutils here. The symbol versioning should always
> be used with care regardless if my patch is checked in or not. My
> point is the current linker doesn't do what is expected. If people
> think symbol versioning in an archive is desirable, this small
> problem certainly won't stop them.

Versioning has no place in archives.  Nobody would use it this way if
this stupid idea would be shot down immediately.  You are
implementing, as I've described, something which can already be done
by other means.  And you do this by adding yet more confusion to the
already difficult versioning handling.