Multiple Memory Regions Starting at Same Address

I am working on porting binutils for a new machine.  This machine has two
distinct memory regions that both need to start at address 0.  Data will
be placed into one memory region while code will be placed into the other.
 Does the linker currently support multiple memory regions that start at
the same address but contain different information?  If so, how would I go
about specifying this in a linker script file?  If not, are there any
thoughts on how much work would be required to make this change?  I am not
asking anybody to do this, rather I am asking if there are any thoughts on
what sort of things I would need to look out for if I were to make this
change, and if the feeling is that it would require a major rewrite.

Tracy