Re: DWARF2 and COFF?

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 09:31:02AM -0500, Mark E. wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I've seen some messages from those involved with GDB that they will add
> support for C++ debugging with the gcc 3.0 abi first with DWARF2 then stabs.
> This got me wondering if dwarf2 could work with COFF (or at least the djgpp
> flavor of COFF). At first, I only had to make a few tweaks, but then I ran
> into problems with bfd/dwarf2.c which makes use of 'elf_tdata (abfd)-
> >dwarf2_find_line_info' which obviously doesn't work in a COFF environment.
>
> It is my understanding that while dwarf2 happens to be used by environments
> that use ELF, it is not dependant on ELF. Assuming my understanding is
> correct, can bfd/dwarf2.c be made generic or should I just give up?

Depends on the COFF varient.  Dwarf2 needs:

   1)	The ability to create arbitrary sections (some COFF's, notably Mips &
	Alpha ECOFF can't create any sections not specified in the ABI);

   2)	The ability to to do address relocations non-byte boundaries;

   3)	The use of .8byte, .4byte, .2byte and .section pseudo ops;

   4)	The ability to mark sections not to be loaded into memory.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304