Re: data_start, __data_start

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Nick Clifton wrote:

> : 3) Is there any hope of standardizing the linker scripts again?
>
> This is more of a kernel issue than a binutils issue.  It is quite
> straightforward to add this symbol to a linker script, it just needs
> the official blessing of the Linux developers, plus making sure that
> all of the linker scripts involved do get updated.

I'd be a little cautious about adding an assignment in a linker script, as
doing so silently overrides the value of an existing symbol.

ldexp.c:exp_fold_tree has this comment:
		  /* FIXME: Should we worry if the symbol is already
		     defined?  */

Using PROVIDE () doesn't work in this case.  Hmm, adding a means to do
weak assignment in linker scripts would be a good solution.

Alan
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.