Re: libiberty includes

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 12:29:43PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > With them currently in the shared binutils include dir, it is hard
> > to do things with just the binutils includes.
>
> Examples?

Cygnus's internal tree. :-)

> > For instance, when Cygnus updates their internal tree, I assume they
> > import libiberty bits from egcs/{include,libiberty}, and other .h
> > files from binutils' src/include/.
>
> First off, don't worry about what happens inside Cygnus (now Red Hat).
> That's our problem, not yours.

I have someone that has a Cygnus-like internal tree (setup for them by a
ex-Cygnus person), that I'm helping to update to the latest versions of
tools.  This means finding a libiberty+includes that will meet the needs
of GCC 2.95.3, Binutils 2.10.1, and GDB 5.0.  They are starting with GCC
2.8.1, 940801 of binutils/gas/ld, and GDB 4.12.86.

That was why I sent you that other [private] message about the best
version of libiberty to use.  I took libiberty/ and include/ from latest
GCC sources after your message.  I then went to import Binutils 2.10.1
and realized I'd be spamming my new libiberty headers files.  So it seems
I'm left with taking the 2.10.1 include/ and removing the libiberty/
headers and then importing the remaining headers.

While that isn't so bad, it does make it harder to produce a set of their
local diffs by cd'ing into include/ and doing something like
``cvs diff -rLIBIBERTY_20001223'' or ``cvs diff -rBINUTILS_2_10_1'' and
getting a full list of changes.

Since Cygnus deals with this, I was hoping for any lessons learned to be
passed on.

> Second, the updates don't work that way.  I merge from gcc to src
> regularly.  Any include/* that exists in gcc/include is mastered in
> gcc's cvs, and copied verbatim to src/include (via cvs commit, not by
> copying *,v files).

Yes, I know.  I think you have mistaken how I was claiming updates
happen.  I was using "import" loosely.  I can see how you would think I
meant CVS vendor import, but how did you think I mean copying the ,v
files?

Enjoy!
--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)